I spent years advancing a successful career while creating a very full life. I enjoyed time with friends, traveled, and kept up with hobbies. I kept very busy and I wasn’t sure marriage was for me until I met my husband. Who came with four kids.
Although I knew almost immediately he was “the one,” I didn’t realize just how much more full my life was about to become. I jumped right in and as I planned my wedding, I just knew my instant family would be the stuff of Rockwell paintings. Well, let’s just say that’s not exactly how it went!
I love my family more than words, but my first few years as a stepmom were a real struggle. I was totally unprepared for all that came with being a stepparent. And for how complicated blended family dynamics can be.
How complicated, exactly? Well, there’s dealing with coparenting issues. And trying to figure out how to bond with your new stepkids. Throw in trying to juggle work with your new family obligations. And then wondering when the last time was that you had any time for yourself.
I felt like a total failure for the first couple of years. I was trying to be the perfect wife and stepmother, build our family, and stay on top of a demanding full-time job. Conflict and chaos seemed like permanent parts of our lives.
I realized that I couldn’t make this work until I took a step back and focused on what it really meant to be a stepmom. And put some thought into what exactly I needed to give me the confidence and skills to succeed as a stepmom.
The problem was, when I searched for resources, I didn’t find anything that I could directly apply to my situation. I felt totally lost and alone. And I figured if I felt that way, other stepmoms probably did, too. So I decided to develop my own tools and systems that I could share with others.
My goal is to help you navigate all the challenges that come with being in a blended family. We’re all just trying to build the best life we can. And it looks different for all of us. I want to help make things just a little bit easier for you. I offer one-on-one coaching, support groups, and lots of tools, training, and resources that you need to succeed.
I like to think that no matter how messy or chaotic our stepmom lives can be, each day is our own personal adventure and contributes to the original patchwork of our journey.
Together, let’s build the best blended family patchwork we can!
A Few Fun Facts About Me
- I’m a military wife. I am married to the most wonderful man and have four amazing stepchildren, along with my spoiled animals, Charlie the dog and Buster the cat.
- I grew up in northern Florida and my family hails from the Carolinas and Georgia.
- I am a passionate South Carolina Gamecock.
- I graduated from Emory Law School in Atlanta but never practiced.
- I have worked on Capitol Hill and as a corporate politico in Washington, D.C. for over 20 years.
- I believe we are all obligated to give back to our communities. In the D.C. area, I served as President of the Junior League of Washington, chaired Taste of the South, chaired corporate fundraising for the Trust for the National Mall, and am currently on the board of Bright Beginnings.
- I love adventure travel. I’ve hiked Kilimanjaro, gone diving in Bora Bora, spent nights under the stars in Namibia, ridden elephants in Thailand, and been cage diving (snorkeling, really) with great white sharks in South Africa. I’ve been to six continents – Australia is the only one I have yet to visit!