I’m so glad you stopped by! This Custom Life is a place to help you embrace the beautiful patchwork of blended family.
A bit about me: I am a corporate politico in the Washington, D.C. area who writes on the side. I spent a lot of years advancing my career while trying to create a beautiful home and a full life. And that life got even more full a few years back when I met my husband, who came with four kids.
I was sure my new instant family would be the stuff of Rockwell paintings. Well, that’s not exactly how it went! I adore my family and am so thankful for them. But I was totally unprepared for all that came with being a stepparent. And for how complicated blended family dynamics can be.
How complicated, exactly? Well, there’s dealing with co-parenting issues. And trying to figure out how to bond with your new stepkids. Throw in trying to juggle work with your new family obligations. And then wondering when the last time was that you had any time for yourself.
So my goal is to help you navigate all the challenges that come with being in a blended family. Whether you’re a stepparent, a biological parent, an adoptive parent – we’re all just trying to build the best life we can. So let me give you some tools to make things just a little bit easier.
I grew up in the south and I’ve always been a “connector.” I introduce friends to other friends because I want the people in my life all to know one other. I share with friends and coworkers everything from the names of businesses and services I love to great deals and my favorite books and recipes.
And like most gals, I love to share experiences. I want to know what my friends are struggling with or celebrating, and I want to share the same with them. It makes me so happy when I hear that something I have shared has made even a small difference in a friend’s life.
So, friend, let me help connect you with the tools to help you create the blended life you want.
No matter how messy or chaotic our lives can be, each day is our own personal adventure and contributes to the original patchwork of our journey.
Together, let’s build the best blended family patchwork we can!
A Few Fun Facts About Me:
- I’m a military wife. I am married to the most wonderful man and have four amazing stepchildren, along with my spoiled animals, Charlie the dog and Buster the cat.
- I grew up in northern Florida and my family hails from the Carolinas and Georgia.
- I am a passionate South Carolina Gamecock.
- I graduated from Emory Law School in Atlanta but never practiced.
- I have worked on Capitol Hill and as a lobbyist in Washington, D.C. for almost 20 years.
- I believe we are all obligated to give back to our communities. In the D.C. area, I served as President of the Junior League of Washington, chaired Taste of the South, chaired corporate fundraising for the Trust for the National Mall, and am currently on the board of Bright Beginnings.
- I love adventure travel. I’ve hiked Kilimanjaro, gone diving in Bora Bora, spent nights under the stars in Namibia, ridden elephants in Thailand, and been cage diving (snorkeling, really) with great white sharks in South Africa. I’ve been to six continents – Australia is the only one I have yet to visit!
Please feel free to write to me at email@example.com. I love getting emails from readers!